FREE GROUND SHIPPING in the Continental US! International Shipping Now Available!

Christmas Plants That Your Cat MUST Stay Away From

I don’t mean to be an alarmist – but did you know that almost ALL traditional Christmas flowers and plants are toxic to household pets?

Mom took Beau to Secaucus Animal Clinic the other day for his annual checkup with the clinic’s director Dr. John Hatch. They got to talking about the whole toxic plant issue because it is a real problem and many pet owners are not aware of the potential implications.

SIDE EFFECTS OF TOXIC PLANTS

Many of the flowers and plants cause mouth and throat irritations and/or mild gastrointestinal problems, but, if consumed in large amounts, can lead to death. Others are deadly even if consumed in small amounts. It becomes an issue of the pet parent getting their beloved pet to the vet in time as to whether it survives.

Just this week, a lady in Tampa, Florida posted that her cat died by consuming a lily (one of the most deadly flowers), and by sharing her story on the internet, she hoped that she could spare other pet owners the heartache and loss of losing a pet when it could have been avoided.

HOUSEPLANTS YOU SHOULD AVOID FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR CAT

Mom says “who wants to go through that pain” when you can control it from happening to begin with, therefore, the following winter and holiday flowers and plants will never dress up our tables and shelves!

  • Poinsettias

  • Lilies - except Peruvian Lilies

  • Amaryllis

  • Mistletoe

  • Narcissus - also know as Paper Whites

  • Eucalyptus

  • Anthurium

  • Cyclamen

***this is a partial list

Obviously, if you can place your plants up high and not where your pet can reach it – like mistletoe – then you are in luck for a little holiday cheer!

In addition – also consider that many plants are treated with pesticides at the nurseries which can often be toxic. And be sure to check the additives that you might put into your Christmas tree water – as it can be toxic to pets as well. BAH HUMBUG! But it’s better to be safe than sorry!

WE NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE

Dr. Hatch expressed a wish that all the national floral associations and growers would get on board with this real threat to our house pets and tag every flower or plant sold in this country with the info if they are toxic or non-toxic…it could be printed on the little packets that come with cut flowers for example…and all the plants sold usually come with info sticks with the names, species, care instructions, etc…add one more line and list Toxic – or Non-Toxic…so simple!

We need to start talking about this issue and raise awareness so that pet owners can be more informed and can make the best decision possible regarding plants in the home when you have pets…Mom says the pets’ safety comes first – so do your research before you bring a flower or plant inside!


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published